Friday, August 20, 2010

Crafty Day



This is all it took to change my craft idea for the week.

I REALLY was looking for wool when I walked in the fabric and craft department at our nearest Wal Mart.  I saw this adorable craft  the other day, and wanted to try it in the worst way.  Only thing is, I do not have anything but striped wool in my fabric stash.  And I needed to make a stock up trip to Wal Mart anyway for deodorant, shampoo, shower gel, etc. 

No wool to buy, but guess what - they have quite the eye catching aisle of all things beads and jewelry findings.  Great, just what I need - a new hobby.  I have always been intimidated by jewelry making unless it is simply stringing pony beads on ribbon and tying them around a neck or wrist of one of my girls.  I have bought beads before with great ideas of things that never got made.  The last time I did this, my friend Laura made me a gorgeous necklace/bracelet/earring set using my beads and her great talent!  So I made the mistake of walking down the bead aisle.  I was almost completely to the end without putting anything in my cart when the above kit caught my eye.  All the beads and findings to make 6 pairs of earrings for $4.00 plus a set of 3 tools for $9.00.  Yep - in my cart they went.

I would love to say I came right home and made those 6 pairs of earrings that afternoon.  I talked myself out of it that first day, but not the next.  Thursday was a quiet stay at home day.  The kind of day that screams for me to do something crafty and creative instead of laundry and cleaning.  And, I was successful!  I made 2 pairs of earrings before I had to clean up and get to that laundry and cleaning.  I will probably not make the other 4 pair of earrings like the package suggests.  Two of the pairs are a little too cheap looking (think plastic rings), so I will save the findings for another project - after I make another trip to the bead aisle.

Here is what the kit looks like:

Instructions

Beads and findings

And the finished product:


I would definitely suggest the kit if you are looking for a simple way to get into jewelry making.  I am really  happy with the results.  As a matter of fact, I plan on giving one of these pairs to my sister in law for her birthday on Sunday.

Oh and those cute hair clips - I will get to those eventually.  As soon as I get that wool!









Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment